Click here for online entry form after reading the following information:
The Grom Trials to select the team to represent Western Province Surfing at the 2018 Sea Harvest SA Grommet Games 22 March-25 March Port Elizabeth will take place on the following weekends :
27/28 January 2018 3&4 Feb
10/11 Feb 2018
17/18 Feb 2018
Groms do not have to be members of WP Surfing. There is an entry fee of R150 for all 3 Trials (same cost whether you do 1,2 or all 3 Trials)
Bank details :
First National Bank, Fish Hoek Branch – Branch code: 202309 – Account number: 50210861429
(Please use your name as the reference when depositing money into the account.)
Please email the proof of payment to email@example.com
There is a strict selection criteria for this Team. WP supports transformation in sport. This is a Development competition and the Team will include 8 transformation surfers from previously disadvantaged backgrounds.
TEAM SELECTION CRITERIA: SEA HARVEST SA GROMMET GAMES 2018
- SSA remains committed to the transformation of surfing in South Africa.
- In order to meet SSA transformation objectives, specific selection targets MUST be a priority within the Districts when selecting their team for the 2018 Sea Harvest SA Grommet Games.
- Districts that are unable to full fill the required transformation numbers may not include non-transformation surfers to make up a full team.
- All transformation surfers and officials must be indicated with an asterisk on team lists.
TEAM SELECTION CRITERIA
- The main objective of the Grommet Games is to encourage surfers, officials and family members who seldom get the opportunity to participate in national events, to take part in the annual Grommet Games and represent and support their respective Districts.
- The overriding rule is that surfers may not compete more than once in the Grommet Games. Therefore surfers who have reached the Finals of the U12, U13, U14, U15 and U16 Divisions at previous Grommet Games are not eligible to compete again.
- The only exception to this rule applies to surfers who have competed in an age group lower than U12. They may represent their District a second time.
- Surfers who have competed at an SA Junior Champs as a member of their District Team or as a member of the SA Development Academy Team may not compete in future Grommet Games. This rule applies to both transformation and non-transformation surfers.
- Surfers who have reached the third round or beyond at the SA Junior Champs or the South African Senior Championships are not eligible to compete in the Grommet Games.
- Surfers who have reached the final of an SAST, WSL, Inter District or Inter Provincial event where at least 6 surfers competed, are not eligible for the Grommet Games.
- Any surfer who has participated in National Team selection camp or National selection trial is no longer eligible to compete in the Grommet Games.
- Districts that do not comply with the transformation requirements may not fill these places in their teams with non transformation surfers.
- Local surf clubs, surf schools and outreach projects that draw their members from marginalised and previously disadvantaged communities, should be canvassed and requested to enter their surfers in trials that are held to select teams for the Grommet Games.
- The SSA GM must be contacted if clarity is required regarding any Team selection criteria. If there is any doubt regarding a selection please contact the SSA GM for a definitive ruling before announcing the team.
TEAM SIZES FOR THE 2018 SA GROMMET GAMES
ALL DISTRICTS SHOULD ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PARTICIPATION TARGETS
- AT LEAST 8 (EIGHT) TRANSFORMATION SURFERS MUST BE INCLUDED IN EACH TEAM.
- TEAMS THAT FAIL TO FULFILL THIS TARGET MAY NOT INCLUDE NON TRANSFORMATION
SURFERS AS REPLACEMENTS IN ORDER TO FILLTHEIR TEAMS.
- TEAMS MUST NOMINATE ONE ACCREDITED TRANSFORMATION JUDGE TO BE CONSIDERED AS A JUDGE AT THE EVENT.
- AT LEAST ONE MEMBER OF MANAGEMENT WHO REPRESENTS THE SSA TRANSFORMATION PROCESS MUST BE INCLUDED IN EACH TEAM.
1 x U8 Boy or Girl (may not turn 9 in 2018)
2 x U10 Boy or Girl (may not turn 11 in 2018)
3 x U12 Boys (may not turn 13 in 2018)
2 x U12 Girls (may not turn 13 in 2018)
3 x U14 Boys (may not turn 15 in 2018)
2 x U14 Girls (may not turn 15 in 2018)
2 x U16 Boys (may not turn 17 in 2018)
2 x U16 Girls (may not turn 17 in 2018)
TEAM SIZE (not including management) = 17
ID NUMBES OR COPIES OF BIRTH CERTIFICATES MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH TEAM NAMES
TRANSFORMATION TEAM MEMBERS MUST BE INDICATED WITH AN ASTERISK *
Updated January 2018: Robin de Kock – GM Surfing South Africa